ReiserFS V4 (was Re: 2.6.2-rc3-mm1)

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 18:22:20 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Be aware that the barriers for a new filesystem are relatively high: each
one adds a significant maintenance burden to the VFS and MM developers. It
will need cautious review.

Andrew, while it is your decision to make, it would be very silly to not let us upgrade ReiserFS. V4 is 2-5x the speed of V3, has more functionality, better security, is more maintainable, etc. Once V4 is as stable and tested as V3, no one in their right mind will use V3 on a new install. While we will be happy to read improvements and critiques of our implementations from a clever coder such as yourself, we aren't exactly new to the Linux Kernel, and we are one of the very few in that community who have a real QA process that we systematically apply. That is why we did not send it in many months ago: our testing is quite extensive, and we don't think users should find bugs that we can find if we make the effort. Now we are running out of bugs that we can hit. There are distros that would like to ship using Reiser4 in April.

But that doesn't mean we cannot get it out there, get you some more testing
and exposure. -

Thanks,

Hans