cdwriter /dev/hdc question

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 08:28:06 EST

Greetings;

Running 2.6.2 atm, but for quite a while in the 2.6.x series I've had
a line in /var/log/messages immediately after the dmesg dump
indicating that dma was being disabled for /dev/hdc.
>From /var/log/dmesg:
---
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0000:00:11.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
[...]
hdc: CREATIVE CD-RW RW1210E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
[...]
hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[...]
---
>From /var/log/messages, immediately after the dmesg dump:
---
Feb 4 21:30:47 coyote kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
---
However, I put an hdparm line at the bottom of rc.local that turns it
back on and it works great, yet to see an error while burning.

So why is the kernel turning it off in the first place?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)