Re: [ACPI] acpi problem with nforce motherboards and ethernet

From: Luis Miguel García
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 14:29:47 EST

(sorry with my sucking english)

ok, let me know if you know for me to test something with this newer mm kernels.

by the way, yes, I'm experiencing the lockups. Not with heavy io, but almost when I boot and enter X. The system gets completly frozzened and the HD led keps on. When I reboot with a sane kernel, I found several files from my /home directory are deleted or filled with garbage.

Now, I patch each kernel I use with the two patches Andrew sent to me and I'm having no problems.

Actually i'm running 2.6.2-ck1 + nforce-patches and the temperature of the system is 55º while idle, and 631 while compiling (only cpu fan, no case fans). I don't know if it's high (some people reported high temperatures with this patches) but it runs very well this way.

If you want for me to test some patches or something, please drop me a note.

Thanks a lot...

Luis Miguel García

P.S.: by the way, why am I getting strage "arabesque" characters when I reply to your emails? Perhaps something with wrong encoding?

This is interesting, I will test it myself later on. At one point Len
admitted to owning "foreign hardware :p" so maybe this could get resolved.

Personally I haven't tried kernels with newer forcedeth drivers, because I
can no longer explicitely set the power state of the NIC to D3. The
machine complains about irqs (new debugging code since forcedeth v.20 or
so) and will not powerdown.

On another note, have you noticed lockups of your system with heavy io?
Think of fsck'ing, burning cdroms, du on large dirs etc? Maybe it is
helpful to set up a list of boards and document what works or doesn't work
with which kernel. For instance the lockups with heavy io seem to be
resolved here if I leave APIC from my kernel.

Arjen