Re: 2.4.25-rc1: BUG: wrong zone alignment, it will crash

From: Michael Frank
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 11:48:46 EST

On Friday 06 February 2004 23:36, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > It is supposed to work, just a bug in the zone alignment code.
>
> The error isn't in the kernel, it's between the chair and the keyboard.
> You have created a lowmem zone of a size that doesn't correctly
> align with the largest blocks used by the buddy allocator.
>
> > I have have to use HIGHMEM emulation for testing.
>
> Then you'll need to choose a different size for the highmem=
> parameter, one that doesn't cause an unaligned boundary.

Which is not user friendly and does not match the documentation.

> Alternatively, you could submit a patch so the highmem= boot
> option parsing code does the aligning for you.

OK, will do. I'll produce and test a patch.

> However, that would simply be an improvement to the kernel and
> nothing like a bug you can demand to get fixed now.

OK, Please note that I only passed on the message produced by the kernel
BUG: wrong zone alignment, it will crash

Perhaps the kernel should have reported it as "Invalid value for highmem"
instead of "BUG" ;)

Thank you

Michael