Re: Hotswap IDE

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 14:02:17 EST

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Mike Black wrote:

I use a removable IDE chassis to allow me to mirror my primary drive for offsite storage.
I'd like to hotswap the IDE but can't seem to get the drive to allow DMA access after restarting it.
A reboot is necessary for DMA access.
I'm using idectl from hdparm-5.4 which generates the following hdparm commands:
/sbin/hdparm -U 1 /dev/hda
/sbin/hdparm -R 0x170 0 0 /dev/hda

I haven't tried myself, but Alan Cox did:

Linux 2.4.22-rc2-ac3
o Finish off the core IDE hotplug support (me)
| If your hardware supports it you can now
| hdparm -b0 /dev/hdc change drive hdparm -b1 /dev/hdc

Maybe that works better than -U/-R ?

I suspect that both might not be a bad thing, set the bus down and unregister, then set the bus up and register. Order may be important!

Let me know if you try this, I have been contemplating using a hotswap drive for data transfer.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc