Re: FATAL: Kernel too old

From: Bryan Andersen
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 18:27:00 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Charles Cazabon wrote:

Richard B. Johnson <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Script started on Fri Feb 6 15:44:32 2004
# rlogin -l johnson quark
ATAL: kernel too old
# rlogin -l johnson quark
ATAL: kernel too old

I saw something similar at a customer's site, when someone rooted the box and
replaced the default login shell with a rootkitted/backdoored one in a newer
executable format not supported by the old kernel.

I crashed it and it rebooted fine, little fsck activity, with
nothing in any logs that shows there was any problem whatsoever.

Did the problem go away with a reboot?

Sure. And if you can 'root' that machine, you are really
good! It isn't even visible to most of the company internally!

You never know what your fellow employees will do... Where there is a will there is a way.

If you don't think it got rooted, what did you or other employees do recently on that machine that would cause software to be changed? Did anybody do any upgrades? Unless you can confirm an alternate explanation then I'd assume it was rooted. If the machine was upgraded by downloading from the net, was the site you downloaded from secure? Just because a machine is behind many fire walls doesn't mean that it can't be rooted.

- Bryan