Re: Multimedia Keyboard (no scancodes?)

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 19:59:23 EST

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:34:16AM +0100, Marco Gulino wrote:

> Where i was using the 2.4.x kernel my multimedia keyboard was sending the
> special keys to usermode apps, allowing to control them and assign some
> functions.
> Now i'm on 2.6.2 and some of these keys are not working... no scancode,
> nothing, either looking with dmesg or xev.
> It's like the kernel is "filtering" the unknown scancodes and delete them.

Yes, unfortunately we lost raw scancode mode.
The kernel first tries to translate scancodes to keycodes,
and then, if you ask for scancodes, tries to translate back.
The first translation will fail when the table entry is undefined.
Now you'll see "atkbd.c: Unknown key ..." in the syslog.
The second translation may fail because the correspondence is not 1-1.

You can try to use setkeycodes (say, from kbd-1.12) to solve
the problem of undefined entries.

Andries