Re: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch

From: the grugq
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 20:38:38 EST

Well, I think secure deletion should be an option for everyone. Using encryption is a data hiding technique, you prevent people for detemining what sort of data is being stored there. Now, admittedly I dont know at what level the reiser4 encryption appears, but I would think its safer to have complete erasure when a file deleted regardless of how well protected its contents were.

just a thought.

--gq

Hans Reiser wrote:
Jamie Lokier wrote:

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

Actually, I have encountered file systems where two successive
write() calls from userspace to the same offset in the file wouldn't
end up in the same physical location on the disk (AIX's JFS with compression).

See also:

- ext3 with data journalling

- reiser4 with wandering logs

- experimental ext? patches for tail-packing small files

-- Jamie

reiser4 probably does not need secure deletion as much as others, because once the encryption plugins are debugged we will most likely encourage users to use encryption by default. Perhaps someone will show the error in my thinking though, I am not trying to be rigid here....