Re: Unknown symbol _exit when compiling VMware vmmon.o module

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 13:14:40 EST

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 18:48, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:40:16 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe_alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Hi!
> >
> > After installing VMware Workstation 4.5.0-7174 and running
> > vmware-config.pl, I get the following error when trying to insert
> > vmmon.ko into the kernel:
> >
> > vmmon: Unknown symbol _exit
> >
> > What can I use instead of _exit(code) inside a module?
>
> panic()? (Where would the kernel _exit() *TO*?)
>
> I think you misbuilt the kernel module...

No, I don't think so... look at this code:

#ifdef MODULE_X86_64
exit(1);
#else
_exit(1);
#endif
for (;;); /* To suppress warning. */

This is a snippet from driver.c.

Bah! I've simply removed the #ifdef...#endif code and it seems to work,
but I was really curious why VMware was using _exit() for i386 and
exit() for x86_64.