Re: could someone plz explain those ext3/hard disk errors

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 06:53:07 EST

On Monday 09 February 2004 04:52, JG wrote:
>hi,
>
>> I have had the same exact errors.. and i have RMA'ed two disks...
>> already. i just thought it was bad luck..
>>
>> i power down properly and i dont think its power surges, since i
>> am in school and it only happens to me. i would expect my
>> neighbors to have problems too.
>
>really strange, me too.
>now...hm, it all started when i upgraded from kernel 2.4.19 to 2.6.0
> in late decemeber, the system worked very fine for a week or so
> (having great response times!) but then all of a sudden the
> problems started. 2 disks died. then my gigabit network card was
> only able to transmit 200kb/s (but this was really a hardware
> problem, a new card is working fine again, well...). a week later
> the next disks are having problems and i have yet to RMA three
> disks. and now the next two disks..., i'm getting insane ;) i can't
> see any EXT3 error anymore *g* the next disks will be reiserfs only
> to see other error messages ;) well, but that doesn't solve the
> problem of 6 disks within 2 months...this is so unlikely.
>
>JG

This thread seems to be related to a slashdot story about a
mis-formulated epoxy-b that went into production circa 18-20 months
ago. It contains a time bomb chemical reaction involving trace
anounts of red phosphorus, and is said to be the reason all HD makers
went to a 1 year warranty. You may have to google for the story now
as I don't have a record of the link, sorry.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)