More mouse wheel problems

From: Alex
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 12:26:41 EST

Hi,
I know mouse wheel problems have been discussed, but I am still having them
even with the proper fixes. I have a generic-looking IBM optical wheel USB
mouse, Model Number MO28B0 (O's could be zeros and vice versa).

In the 2.4 kernels, the USB mouse would register with the following message:
Nov 4 03:53:16 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usbmouse
Nov 4 03:53:16 localhost kernel: input0: ARROW STRONG USB 3D Mouse on usb1:3.0
Nov 4 03:53:16 localhost kernel: usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver

Once I upgraded to 2.6.2, the mouse is identified as follows:
Feb 4 12:29:07 localhost kernel: input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1

The problem is that the mouse wheel does not work. My XF86Config-4 contains:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I have tried with ExplorerPS/2 as suggested before, as well as with /dev/input/mice.

Trying to perform some diagnostics, I used hexdump and cat to look at the
output of /dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mice. In both cases, the devices
produced quite a lot of output for mouse movement and button presses - for
all three buttons - but no output whatsoever for wheel movements. Does this
mean that the problem is with the kernel?

Thanks for your time,
Alex Khripin