Re: 2.6.3-rc1: snd_intel8x0 still too fast

From: Meelis Roos
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 06:23:35 EST

> > Today mplayer was OK when I tested, didn't retry KDE login. But the
> > kernel is the same, I have not rebooted inbetween.
>
> weird... cpufreq is running?

No, it's a desktop Celeron 900.

> > Did try twice:
> >
> > intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 50040 usecs
> > intel8x0: clocking to 41146
> >
> > intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49395 usecs
> > intel8x0: clocking to 41145
>
> and now you got the correct output?
> if so, you can pass the value via ac97_clock option.

I did retest things more toroughly today after I booted up 2.6.3-rc2. I
focused on testing KDE login since this is known to break. Startup
scripts (discover) loaded also i810_audio, I unloaded it.

Plain bootup gave
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49671 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 41136

and it did not work. Unloading and reloading snd-intel8x0 gave
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49281 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 41139

and it still did not work (way too fast, probably even more than twice).
Now I tried
modprobe snd-intel8x0 ac97_clock=41140
It loads silently but still does not work.

Now I started to suspect that loading i810_audio might screw things up.
Removed the module and rebooted, no i810_audio loaded, still the same.

Reproduced the problem with mplayer too. It depends on the input file
bitrate!

mplayer /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
gives the same very fast sound since it's a 22 KHz mono sample.

mplayer -srate 48000 /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
works fine. Same applies to all files.

So maybe it's a userspace resampling issue? I see that the hardware
talks 44 KHz.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@xxxxxxxx)