Re: oops in old isdn4linux and 2.6.2-rc3 (was in -rc2 too)

From: Karsten Keil
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 06:47:23 EST

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:19:11AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 03:51 +0100, Karsten Keil wrote:
> > Your analyse is correct, but the error is, that
> > ll_writewakeup is called with the lock.
> > Upper layers should not be called in this path.
>
> That's an evidently sensible answer, yes -- but it looks like it's
> always been like this, and fixing it really wasn't not a task I
> particularly wanted to undertake at 2am this morning... I think I might
> leave that to you :)

I don't want give you the impression of a "evidently sensible answer",
(maybe ist was also a little bit late or early ... :-)
I only want to point out that here is a deeper design flaw in this code
and it is here for a long time, but the old none spinlock code
with a big CLI (bad,bad,bad) make it working well enough. During
porting I saw this problem, but forget to mark it for fixing later.

These things (missing separation of layers) was one reason for me to
begin a new driver from scratch some time ago (mISDN).

--
Karsten Keil
SuSE Labs