question on pivot_root and kernel threads

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 11:53:26 EST

I've got an embedded system that we're trying to move from 2.4.18 to 2.4.22 (which involves a userspace upgrade as well). It netboots with an initrd, and then at startup converts it to a tmpfs, unmounts the original ramdisk, and frees the memory.

With 2.4.22 suddenly it started complaining about being unable to unmount the original ramdisk. After some digging, it seems that the kernel threads (keventd, ksoftirqd_CPU0, kswapd, bdflush, kupdated, and mtdblockd) are starting up with stdin/stdout/stderr set to /dev/console in the original ramdisk. When I do the pivot_root so that the original ramdisk is mounted at "/mnt", I end up with a bunch of references to "/mnt/dev/console", and I can't unmount "/mnt" since the refcount is nonzero.

At a guess, its related to this thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=hpYn.1fz.21%40gated-at.bofh.it

Did this ever get resolved properly?

Thanks,