Re: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 13:41:19 EST

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:34:18AM -0800, Mike Bell wrote:
> I've been reading a lot lately about udev and how it's both very
> different to and much better than devfs, and with _most_ of the reasons
> given, I can't see how either is the case. I'd like to lay out why I
> think that is.

One final comment: Can you implement a persistent device naming scheme
using devfs today? If so, please show me how you would:
- always name a USB printer the same /dev name no matter when it
is discovered by the USB core (before or after any other USB
printer.)
- always name your SCSI disk the same /dev name no matter where
in the scsi probe sequence it is (yank it out and plug it into
another place in your scsi rack.)

This is the main problem that udev solves. The fact that it also gives
you a dynamic /dev is just extra goodness.

thanks,

greg k-h