Re: Kernel panic on Redhat Linux AS2.1 with QLogic 2342 HBA

From: Joel Becker
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 21:17:29 EST

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:25:13AM -0800, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, veeresh wrote:
>
> > Kernel panic information:
> > kernel BUG at /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/pci.h:145!
> > invalid operand: 0000
> > Kernel 2.4.9-e.25smp
> > CPU: 2
> > EIP: 0010:[<f8891658>] Tainted: P
> > EFLAGS: 00010086
> > EIP is at qla2x00_64bit_start_scsi [qla2300] 0x498
>
> One of the scatter-gather entries of a SCSI command was NULL. Is any
> of the software you are running preparing SCSI commands and sending
> them down via SG perhaps? What type of I/O is occuring when the
> failure occurs?

Andrew,
This appears to be the same bug we discussed a while back. I
thought QLogic was working on a fix? We saw it with absolutely no SG
involved. It was something to do with error retry, wasn't it?

Joel

--

Brain: I shall pollute the water supply with this DNAdefibuliser,
turning everyone into mindless slaves.

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation