Re: PATCH - raise max_anon limit

From: Tim Hockin
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:35:42 EST

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:48:47AM +0000, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > It would be better to lose the sysctl and do it all dynamically.
> >
> > Options are:
> >
> > a) realloc the bitmap when it fills up
> >
> > Simple, a bit crufty, doesn't release memory.

This can work if it's OK to allocate pages during set_max_anon() (which
includes changing the spinlock to a sema or always allocating before the
lock).

> d) grab a couple of pages and be done with that. That gives us 64Kbits.

Maybe that is just the simplest answer? It can be a simple constant that is
changeable at compile time, and leave it at that

What's most likely to cause the least argument?

> PS: psu.edu address is still valid, but I rarely read that mailbox...

Sorry - it's what was listed in MAINTAINERS, so I used it.

Tim
--
Tim Hockin
Sun Microsystems, Linux Software Engineering