Re: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 19:46:37 EST

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:35:10AM -0600, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> Yeah, JFS has poor default behavior based on CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT. I
> attempted to explain why it works that way in the first bug listed above
> if anyone is curious.

I think your suggested fix is good, but it begs the question:

Why on earth is JFS worried about the filename, anyways? Why has it
*ever* had *any* behavior other than "string of bytes, delimited with /,
terminated with \0" ?

I read your response about OS/2, and maybe I'm just slow, but I don't
see what that has to do with anything.

Does JFS on AIX have the same buggy behavior?

What behavior was the code originally designed to implement, on OS/2?
Why was that behavior chosen rather than "filenames are a string of
bytes"?

Feel free to point to a "Design of the OS/2 JFS interface" document if
such exists and answers my question. :)

-andy