/proc/partitions not done updating when init is ran?

From: Nick Bartos
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 21:45:46 EST

I have a problem where it does not look like /proc/partitions is updated
completely by the time init is ran.

Basically I am booting from a usb flash device, and when I try to run fsck
on the device on boot (using LABEL=, which is necessary since the actual
device cannot be assumed in my config) it fails. After further
investigation /proc/partitions does not contain any scsi partitions right
when init is starting, but if I do a "sleep 10" before running fsck then
it works fine.

I can of course put that sleep in there but that is ugly and I have no way
of knowing the maximum delay, so if it took too long then it would not
work and I would be screwed...

Isn't /proc/partitions supposted to be finished updating when init starts?
If this is not a kernel bug (or it won't be fixed for a while), then what
is the deal and how can I fix this cleanly?