Re: 2.6.1-mm4

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 03:48:51 EST

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:30:54 +0100, "Prakash K. Cheemplavam" said:

> Well, I don't know whether my system actually locks up, it is like it
> seems the log gets flooded (when I wait long enough) but I cannot do
> anything with the system at that point, ie it seems like frozen.

I don't think anybody's going to be able to shoot that bug report without more
info. "seems like frozen" doesn't give us much to go on. Does the machine
still ping/ssh/etc on the net? Is it totally locked up? Any disk activity
lights left on/flickering, indicating life? Can you get a serial console or
kgdb-ethernet or something to see if there's an oops/panic?

> Furthermore I am using latest 53.36 drivers and I am not the only one
> having this problem if I look into nvnews forums. As I said this is a
> problem which came with something changed in the newer kernels. 2.6.1
> (and 2.6.2-rc1) works OK for me, 2.6.2-rc2 and later not.

Well, the 53.36 drivers are rock-solid on my Dell laptop with a GeForce4 440Go
and the 2.6.3-rc1-mm1 kernel. There very well may be bugs in there, but
they're not ones I can replicate or diagnose...