Re: 2.6.1-mm4

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 11:12:28 EST

Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:30:54 +0100, "Prakash K. Cheemplavam" said:

Well, I don't know whether my system actually locks up, it is like it seems the log gets flooded (when I wait long enough) but I cannot do anything with the system at that point, ie it seems like frozen.

I don't think anybody's going to be able to shoot that bug report without more
info. "seems like frozen" doesn't give us much to go on. Does the machine
still ping/ssh/etc on the net? Is it totally locked up? Any disk activity
lights left on/flickering, indicating life? Can you get a serial console or
kgdb-ethernet or something to see if there's an oops/panic?

Hmm, I'll test those bk-snapshots and when it locks up, I'll try to

So, I tried 2.6.2-rc1-bk1 and it locks up. How can I find out which patches it incorporated, so that I can filter out that bugger? (more see down, this time it was type 2)

I dunno about kgdb-ethernet (but I'll see whether I'll understand it) nor do I have a serial console.

Maybe it is a nforce2 issue then. I think it is ACPI specific. I'll also try compiling latest kernel without ACPI and report back.

I tried 2.6.3-rc1-mm1 without ACPI and it lock up up (type 1). I now can tell about two type of lock-up (maybe due to the same cause):

1) complete freeze, nothing possible, not able to read machine from network, must use reset button
2) freeze, but only mouse movement (nothing reacts though, keyboard neither) is possibel and log is flooded with error I posted, I can still reach machine via network and do a gracefull shutdown (killing X wasn't passible)

Prakash