Re: [BUG] get_unmapped_area() change -> non booting machine

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 13:21:28 EST

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Dave McCracken wrote:

> Hmm... would it work to just do something like 'if the previous vma is
> grow-up then allocate from the top of the hole'? It'd eliminate the need
> for a hard limit and should pretty much stay out of the way of BSS.

Well, the _common_ case at least for the loader is that the "top of the
hole" is actually the stack. So the above would _really_ suck, and crash
pretty much immediately ;)

It would also cause the strange behaviour that we'd start allocating the
virtual memory areas in "reverse order", ie we'd start at the top and grow
down.

So I don't think that's a very good approach.

This is why special cases get complex: they end up feeding yet more
special cases.

Linus