Re: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 17:51:16 EST

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:29:11 +0100, Robin Rosenberg said:

> a space in a filename. This shouldn't be any worse than that. The space
> issue is really serious (but I don't think that can be fixed other than teaching
> people to program properly, and possibly improving bash's knowledge of the
> difference between a space and argument separator).

Other than allocating a key and bytecode for non-breaking-white-space as a
separator (Hmm.. allocate 'left-windows' purely for ironic value? ;), how do
you propose to actually improve it's knowledge of the distinction? The basic
problem is that we're overloading x'20' as both space and separator, and then
end up disambiguating based on context and syntax. And quite frankly, I don't
see much hope for improving things as long as x'20' is overloaded.

Could go the VMS command/this/that/the/other/thing route, I guess? :)