RE: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch

From: Robert White
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 18:01:56 EST

At which point, in the presence of the theoretical mount option, it becomes
easy to reduce the work load to "a long list of block operations" by making
the shredding unconditional.

That is, instead of thinking of it as shredding a file, the (arbitrarily
named) "zerofree" mount option is passed and every block that is released
from active file system use is zeroed. E.g. file blocks, directory blocks,
attribute blocks, everything. That just takes (at the worst) a list/queue
and a block-write of a block-sized page containing all zeros (or, better
yet, an optionally-user-supplied squeegee pattern.) So take/make the
free_block() routine and make it submit a "dirty block" to the I/O buffering
system. If the block is immediately re-used then even the write expense
amortizes to near zero for clearing that block (or unwritten fragment).

The down side of the simple form comes up when the user unlinks that 20 gig
file.

And of course there is no such thing as un-erase for such a media.

On the more positive side this would be _*outstanding*_ for my NV-RAM
keychain drive where the files are warranted to be small and I don't want
some random person who finds my lost keychain even able to guess about that
pesky project I was working on last month.

Meh... 8-)

Rob.