Re: [BUG] get_unmapped_area() change -> non booting machine

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 01:27:49 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0402120833000.5816@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
By author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I really think that we should aim for "brk()" just working. It's often
> faster than mmap, and it's one of those very basic things (ie we should
> _not_ assume we have glibc and malloc(), and others may well want to use
> brk() too).

Okay... I'll ask... what is the point with brk(), i.e. what makes it
faster? If we didn't have brk(), we could get rid of UNMAPPED_BASE
and therefore get rid of the artificial splitting of userspace memory
(modulo prelink, but that's optional.)

brk() at least on the surface really looks like a strange legacy
interface. Obviously it's important on nommu architectures, but on
mmu architectures it seems rather redundant.

-hpa
--
PGP public key available - finger hpa@xxxxxxxxx
Key fingerprint: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74