Re: your mail (maps "deleted")

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 13:22:04 EST

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Bloch, Jack wrote:
> I am running a 2.4.19 Kernel and have a problem where a process is using the
> up to the 0xC0000000 of space. It is no longer possible for this process to
> get any more memory vi mmap or via shmget. However, when I dump the
> /procs/#/maps file, I see large chunks of memory deleted. i.e this should be
> freely available to be used by the next call. I do not see these addresses
> get re-used. The maps file is attached.

You mean, for example,
bee13000-bee2c000 rw-s 00000000 00:05 7405782 /SYSVa8020046 (deleted)
?

It's not the memory which has been "(deleted)", that's still filling your
virtual address space. It means that shared memory objects /SYSVxxxxxxxx
are not really there on your filesystem, and so are displayed as deleted:
an mmapping of an unlinked file is shown that way.

Hugh