Re: is nForce2 good choice under Linux?

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 15:34:06 EST

Hi,

I own an Abit NF7-S 2.0. I generally stick to the latest 2.6-mm kernels.

Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:
1. What is the status of nForce2 support under Linux? What works what not?

I haven't tried the SATA or firewire capabilities of my board, but I believe both work. Everything else (sound, network, ...) works OK.

2. Are the drivers binary or source or open source? Are the drivers in mainline kernels or do I need a patch?

There are binary sound drivers, but you are best off to go with the ALSA intel8x0 drivers (open source).
There are binary network drivers, but you are best off to go with the forcedeth drivers (open source).
There is nvidia ide support in the kernel.

My only gripe is that, as I understand it, the onboard sound chip is powerful. However, neither the ALSA/OSS drivers, or nvidia's own binaries, will take advantage of the good features such as hardware mixing. This means that you cannot play two sounds at the same time, unless you use software mixing (dmix, arts, esd) or go out and buy a cheapy SB Live :)
Apparently, nvidia are working on new (binary) drivers for nforce-audio which will do hardware mixing and the likes.

3. Are there any problems with this chipset? Are the problems hardware based or soft based (= will/can be fixed)? Are ACPI, APIC, IRQ and so on working OK?

Yes, there is a problem. This is a hardware problem, which can likely be fixed in a BIOS update. Those who have tried contacting manufacturers have basically failed.
There is a bug relating to the C1 disconnect feature of AMD CPU's. It causes a total system freeze. There is some quite detailed info on this in recent threads, search the archive if you are interested.

For the majority of people (as I understand it), these lockups can be totally avoided by *not* using APIC/IOAPIC. I never met a lockup until I enabled APIC for the first time. The older XTPIC paths are generally not fast enough to trigger the C1 bug. Ross Dickson has done some great work here, and he has produced patches which workaround this particular bug. His last two revisions of patches have worked great for me (and others), not a lockup since.

Of course, you might get lucky and not get problems at all. I have heard from a couple of people who use nforce2-based systems, with default configs (plus APIC) and have never experienced a lockup.

4. Are there any workarounds in the kernel for hardware bugs? Do they affect performance/stability?

See above.

5. Should I choose other mainboard? Why? Which?

I have been perfectly happy with my NF7-S, except from the one time it failed on me (didn't boot up), and I had to get it replaced. I think there is a general risk involved in buying nforce2 boards, their rate of failure is fairly high. Still, the benefits are nice.

hope this helps

Daniel