Re: File system performance, hardware performance, ext3, 3ware RAID1, etc.

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 18:48:37 EST

Adam Radford wrote:
Perhaps you are issuing non purely sequential IO. The card firmware does
some reodering, but at some point it will cause performance degradation. Can you
try kernel 2.6 w/xfs?

Not any time soon, but as I mentioned earlier, I measured 13.9 megs/sec when I ran this command:

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1024k count=1024

No file system was involved; I was simply writing zeros to the block device (swap partition with swap off). It took 73.522 seconds to do the above operation. Also, I was running in single-user mode while doing the test.

Also, in my experience, the 'raw io' interface doesn't issue any
asynchronous IO. The
card _definately_ needs asynchronous IO posted to it or you will not get
good results
because you won't get all the drives busy.

With RAID1, both drives will be written with the same data. There is no need to be asynchronous, since it's all completely linear and sequential with large data blocks.