Adaptec ARO-1130CA-C

From: Turbo Fredriksson
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 09:17:03 EST

I have a motherboard (Intel DK440LX) with a built in SCSI controller
(AIC-7895). To this MB there's the possibility to have a RAIDport II
controller. I managed to get me a 'Adaptec ARO-1130CA-C' from eBay
because I couldn't in my wildest dreams believe that Linux didn't
support it - it's ancient!.

Woe my surprise when I discovered that it isn't! The latest information
I have about this - which is "no, it isn't supported" - come from 2002
or thereabouts. I have not been able to find ANYTHING later than 2002,
other than a note from Alan Cox (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=92185700225899&w=2)
stating that _maybe_ the new AACRAID _might_ support this. Looking at
the AIC7xxx documentation (in 2.4.24), I see the following, so clearly
it isn't supported by the aic7xxx driver, but my hopes are that AACRAID
DOES support it.

drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx:
----- s n i p -----
Not Supported Devices
------------------------------
Adaptec Cards
----------------------------
AHA-2920 (Only the cards that use the Future Domain chip-set are not
supported, any 2920 cards based on Adaptec AIC chip-sets,
such as the 2920C, are supported)
AAA-13x Raid Adapters
AAA-113x Raid Port Card

Motherboard Chipsets
----------------------------
AIC-781x

Bus Types
----------------------------
R - Raid Port busses are not supported.

The hardware RAID devices sold by Adaptec are *NOT* supported by this
driver (and will people please stop emailing me about them, they are
a totally separate beast from the bare SCSI controllers and this driver
can not be retrofitted in any sane manner to support the hardware RAID
features on those cards - Doug Ledford).

It is NOT a 'AAA-113x', but I guess it's the same card with a different vendor.
So the question is: IS it (my RAIDport II card) supported by the aacraid driver,
in either 2.4 _or_ (if need be) the 2.6 kernels?