Re: JFS default behavior

From: Nicolas Mailhot
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 12:44:48 EST

viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:27:50PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

There is no more justification to keep encoding undefined as there is to keep time zone undefined. Last I've seen we're all pretty happy system time actually means something on unix (unlike other systems where it can be anything depending on the location where the initial installation was performed).

"System time" is amount of time elapsed since the epoch. Period. What does
it have to any timezone?

And everyone agrees on the epoch and that's why it works.

(just like sensors output is not just any numerical value but has a well-defined unit)

With filenames we have a value but what it means exactly is a matter of conjecture. That's the problem.
(it wouldn't be if filenames were just magic cookies that never needed to be interpreted but there's a lot of actors, be it apps or humans that need to agree on what the byte string)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot