Re: Kernel Cross Compiling

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 17:10:54 EST

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 01:03:22PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I'm currently investigating the requirements/doability
> >of a kernel cross compiling test bed/setup, able to do
> >automated kernel builds for different architecture,
> >just to see if it compiles and later to verify if a
> >given patch breaks that compile on any of the tested
> >archs ...
>
> Great idea!
>
> > I decided to use binutils 2.14.90.0.8, and gcc 3.3.2,
> > but soon discovered that gcc-3.3.2 will not be able
> > to build a cross compiler for some archs like the
> > alpha, ia64, powerpc and even i386 ;) without some
> > modifications[2] but with some help, I got all headers
> > fixed, except for the ia64, which still doesn't work
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to use http://kegel.com/crosstool
> which already builds good toolchains for just about every
> CPU type?

yeah Dan, I thought about that, and I guess I'll
give that _another_ try soon, the reason I didn't
choose that path, simply was, that I didn't want
to compile the (g)libc, because I really do not
need it at all (kernel does not use/require that)
and I didn't want to deal with that one too ...

btw, what archs did you verify? didn't find a
'success' list or something like that, probably
missed it somehow, anyway, currently I managed
to compile binutils and gcc for:

alpha, arm, cris, hppa/64, i386, ia64, m68k,
mips/64, ppc/64, s390, sh/4, sparc/64, v850,
x86_64 ...

TIA,
Herbert