Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] [2.4] off-by-one kmalloc in ntfs

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 20:28:09 EST

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > This patch fixes an off-by-one kmalloc bug in ntfs in 2.4.24.
> Thanks for your time fixing bugs in the legacy driver.
>
> May I be interested in your motivations? Recently there is a clear flow of
> RedHat refugees to Debian and if you would like better NTFS support then
> perhaps Debian should use the backport of the rewritten NTFS driver too,
> just like all other distros do who care about NTFS support.
>
> You can find some of the differences between the legacy (in vanilla 2.4)
> and the Linux-NTFS project's NTFS driver (it's in in 2.6 and there is
> a backport maintained for 2.4):
>
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html
>
> Besides the several drawbacks vanila 2.4 driver has, I'm aware of only two
> features it's capable but not the rewritten one:
>
> - NTFS can be exported via NFS. This came without any work but it would
> need some time to support with the new driver. There was one request
> for this feature in the last two years so it's not the highest priority

The to be released NTFS 2.0.7 for 2.6 kernel adds support for exporting
via NFS. (-: Unfortunately last week the hd at my computer at work blew
up so I didn't get round to doing my final testing so I haven't officially
released 2.0.7 yet but hopefully I will release it next week. Assuming
2.4 now uses the same mechanism for exporting via NFS (I am not sure if
the 2.6 changes were backported or not) it will be easy to update the NTFS
backport with this feature.

> - one can trash his/her NTFS or the box (the legacy diver is not SMP,
> reentrant safe). AFAIK, no plan to add this feature to the new driver
> neither in the short nor in long term.

Yes, most definitely we have no intention of implementing that feature in
the new driver! (-:

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/