Re: Kernel Cross Compiling

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 22:57:30 EST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to use http://kegel.com/crosstool
which already builds good toolchains for just about every
CPU type?

yeah Dan, I thought about that, and I guess I'll
give that _another_ try soon, the reason I didn't
choose that path, simply was, that I didn't want
to compile the (g)libc, because I really do not need it at all (kernel does not use/require that)
and I didn't want to deal with that one too ...

Makes sense. Simpler is better.

btw, what archs did you verify? didn't find a 'success' list or something like that, probably
missed it somehow, anyway, currently I managed
to compile binutils and gcc for:

alpha, arm, cris, hppa/64, i386, ia64, m68k,
mips/64, ppc/64, s390, sh/4, sparc/64, v850,
x86_64 ...

I think I got most of those built except for hppa, ppc/64,
sparc/64, and v850. (I've only run the gcc regression
tests on ppc405, ppc750, and sh4 so far, but hope to test more
later.)
Also, IBM seems to be using a variant of my script for ppc64.
- Dan

--
US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first:
http://www.misleader.org/