Re: Oopsing cryptoapi (or loop device?) on 2.6.*

From: Christophe Saout
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 12:36:33 EST

Hi,

> I've got a reproducible oops when using cryptoloop on vanilla 2.6.0,
> 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 (2.4.* works fine).
> [also reported a deadlock while trying loop-aes]

could you try dm-crypt? It uses the device-mapper instead of the loop
device but should be compatible (uses cryptoapi too). It's going to be
added to the kernel soon I hope.

You can find a patch on http://www.saout.de/misc/ against the vanilla
kernel (dm-crypt.diff), I just rediffed it against linux 2.6.2.

You need the dmsetup tool from the device-mapper package to set up
encryption. There's also a shell script called cryptsetup on the page
that wraps around dmsetup. It requires the hashalot program.

It shouldn't oops. But if the deadlock you were seeing didn't come from
loop-aes it might also show up here. If you're willing to test - let me
know. :)