Re: JFS default behavior

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 03:55:24 EST

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:30:41 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot said:

> You're assuming the situation is merely a iso8859-1 to utf-8 migration.
> Far from it. The core problem is everyone damn wrote what it pleased him
> without considering future readers.

Given the fact that there isn't in general any way for the kernel to know what
was intended, I don't see how any kernel policy other than "NUL and / are
special, but if you use anything other than UTF-8 it will eventually come back
to haunt you" can possibly be made to work.

For that matter, I have seen actual production code that intentionally created
fairly deep directory trees and terminal file names that were basically hashes
written in radix-254 and blatted out in binary. Lots of them. The original
problem report I got was along the lines of "We installed XYZ, and the file
system appears corrupted - ls -R weird the screen out, and 'find | wc -l' is
127,000 different than what 'df -i' reports".

I was ready to strangle the guilty party - radix-64 wouldn't have been a big
efficiency hit and at least the uuencode/base-64 charset doesn't weird your
terminal out. :)

So it's not even always possible to make the assumption that the filename is
supposed to make sense in *any* charset. This one requires fixing in some
combination of userspace and meatspace....