Re: Kernel Cross Compiling

From: Keith Owens
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 09:10:35 EST

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:38:36 +0100,
Herbert Poetzl <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 12:16:10PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> One related question: anyone who knows how to run a cross-depmod,
>> so I can find missing symbol exports without running depmod
>> on the target?
>
>../modutils-2.4.26/configure --target=m68k-linux
>
>seems to do something, so it might even work ...
>
>depmod: ELF file /lib/.../kernel/crypto/aes.o not for this architecture
>depmod: ELF file /lib/.../kernel/crypto/blowfish.o not for this architecture

modutils <= 2.4 was never designed to run in cross compile mode. The
modules.dep file created at compile time is a courtesy file, in an
attempt to avoid warning messages (no modules.dep) on the very first
boot of a new kernel version. Once the kernel has been booted, it ahs
its own modules.dep.

Making it run on the target system but handle cross compiled modules
pulls in all the problems associated with build and target having
different word sizes, different endianess and different object
information. modutils 2.4 is now in stable mode, it is only taking bug
fixes. A complete rewrite to handle cross compile is not a bug fix.

Bottom line: when building cross compile use make ... DEPMOD=/bin/true
to avoid using the local depmod.