Re: Speaker static, vanishes with APIC

From: Ryan Reich
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 10:30:47 EST

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Mark Watts wrote:

> > This is really trivial and I solved it anyway, but in all incarnations of
> > 2.6 I have had static coming from my speakers shortly after boot. It only
> > lasts a few seconds and sounds as though someone were jiggling the plug in
> > the sound card's socket. It only happens right after boot. Since I
> > enabled Local APIC and IO-APIC it hasn't happened.
>
> Did you get a similar noise when shutting down?
>
> My other half has an AMD motherboard with onboard Via sound which gives a
> burst of static when KDE 3.1 starts and another when it shuts down. All other
> sound is fine. (Kernel 2.4.22)
>
> APIC's are disabled on this board...

No, just when starting up. It doesn't even need to be in KDE; in fact, I've
never noticed it in KDE since I start in text mode and check my mail before
starting X (you know how it's impossible to hold off checking mail). Your
problem sounds different since it's in 2.4, also, and I never saw this in 2.4.

However, KDE and sound don't always agree, in my experience. They can't even
get their own sounds right sometimes; when shutting it down their "shutdown"
tune is always cut off as the aRts server exits before it finishes playing the
sound. This, of course, is not static.

--
Ryan Reich
ryanr@xxxxxxxxxxxx