Re: serial.c - start looking from 0x220 iomem_base ??

From: Robert Woerle
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 11:15:55 EST

Richard B. Johnson schrieb:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Robert Woerle wrote:

Hi

I am having here a device (Tablet PC ) sample with a serial resistive
touchscreen .
Under Windows it comes up as COM1 at IO-Base 0x220 -0x227 IRQ 4 .
Now it seems that in linux the serial driver doesnt look for so "low"
I/O-Base `s .

By hacking around by hardcoding the 0x220 somehwere in serial.c i get it
to detect a standard 16550 , but
unfortunately it then assumes that all ttySX have this base .
This is because of my hardcoded hack and the driver not looking for all
the rest mem bases.

So the quesion is :
Where do i tell serial.o to start lower ( at 0x220 ) to look for
controllers .. .??

Pls also CC me directly since i am only monitoring this list .

There are 4 de facto standard serial ports:

COM1 0x3F8 IRQ4
COM2 0x2F8 IRQ3
COM3 0x3E8 IRQ4
COM4 0x2E8 IRQ3

If you have a port at 0x220, it is above the game-port area,
but not where the kernel should "look for" serial devices.
Therefore, you don't tell the kernel to, as you state, start
lower. Instead, you tell the kernel where they are by putting
them in the pnp_devices[] table.

I tryed that now and added a device like
ISAPNP_VENDOR('P', 'N', 'P'), ISAPNP_DEVICE(0x0220),

but nothing happens ... it leaves the function saying
<7>"Leaving probe_serial_pci() (probe finished)

What can i do ?