Re: 2.6.3-rc3 radeonfb: Problems with new (and old) driver

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 18:51:54 EST

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > So _logically_ the interface should be more of a "con_notify_change()"
> > one, with a bitmap of which states have changed (where "graphics vs text"
> > is just one set of states - resultion is another, VC backing store is one,
> > etc etc).
>
> Ok, if it's ok to delay it to 2.6.4, i'd prefer going all the way trough
> calling it properly and passing the proper "state" flags instead of
> hacking more on broken blank/unblank semantics. It can stay in -mm for
> a while if we want enough testing.

Oh, there is no hurry with this. In fact, I'd rather take it slow than try
to make any big changes to something that _largely_ works but has problems
in some special cases.

In fact, I'd be happiest if the first step would be to just rename the
interface and change the argument infrastructure, but actually keep all
the behaviour "obviously the same". Bugs and all, if it comes to that. So
I'd rather take several small steps (and let people use it for a while in
between) than try to do everything. And yes, 2.6.3 is not even a target.

Linus