Re: Linux 2.6.3-rc4 (nforce2)

From: Felix Seeger
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 01:38:54 EST

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 07:31, Len Brown wrote:
> > Should NForce2 boards also work without patches and with acpi/apic ?
> > I saw a change in rc3.
>
> Some will, some will not. Note that Maciej's patch didn't address the
> nforce2 timer configuration issue, which I believe requires a
> platform-specific nforce2 patch.
>
> > It just hangs again, so I switched back to my patched kernel.
> > But of course this could be another problem, kernel 2.6.2-rc1 is
> > running very
> > stable here with the apictack-rd and the ioapic-rd patches.
>
> Dunno what those are, but if you still require ACPI-related patches,
> please let me know.
>From the nforce2-apictack-rd-2.6.0.patch:
/*
+ * Athlon nforce2 R.D.
+ * preset timer ack mode if desired
+ * e.g. static int apic_timerack = 2;

>From the nforce2-ioapic-rd-2.6.0.patch
+#if defined(CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT) && defined(CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC)
+ /* for nforce2 try vector 0 on pin0
+ * Note 8259a is already masked, also by default
+ * the io_apic_set_pci_routing call disables the 8259 irq 0
+ * so we must be connected directly to the 8254 timer if this works
+ * Note2: this violates the above comment re Subtle but works!
+ */

I think I will need more patches, but I will test it today.

> thanks,
> -Len
Felix