Re: hard lock using combination of devices

From: Carl Thompson
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 09:16:38 EST

Quoting vda <vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 09:14, Carl Thompson wrote:
Quoting vda <vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Your box share IRQs in a big way :)

Your point?

While shared interrupts can in theory work right,
lots of hardware and/or drivers do not handle
that.

First, the two devices in question are not on the same interrupt. Second, it
is very difficult in this day in age to build a system without interrupt
sharing. While I agree that it's better to have as few devices sharing as
possible, there are simply too many devices in modern systems and too few
interrupts. Interrupt sharing needs to work on modern hardware and needs to
work in Linux. This notebook is pretty typical in its interrupt distribution
and I'm not certain that this is a problem. In fact, while many devices on
this system use IRQ 11 the only one active at the time was the audio
controller. And while IRQ 10 is shared between the CardBus adapters and the
video card the problems still occur if I don't run X and video interrupts
shouldn't be generated in console mode, right?

I think you should try to reconfigure your
system so that devices do not share same IRQ
and see whether that 'fix' the problem.

There are no options in my notebook's BIOS to reconfigure interrupts or disable
devices.

BTW, can you show your /proc/interrupts ?

Attached.

--
vda

Carl Thompson