Re: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 19:25:04 EST

"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IBM shipped the promised SAN Filesystem some months ago.

Neat, but it's hard to see the relevance of this to your patch.

I don't see any licensing issues with the patch because the filesystem
which needs it clearly meets Linus's "this is not a derived work" criteria.

And I don't see a technical problem with the export: given that we export
truncate_inode_pages() it makes sense to also export the corresponding
pagetable shootdown function.

Yes, this is a sensitive issue. Can we please evaluate it strictly
according to technical and licensing considerations?

Having said that, what concerns issues remain with Paul's patch?

Thanks.