Re: UTF-8 practically vs. theoretically in the VFS API (was: Re: JFS default behavior)

From: John Bradford
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 19:58:51 EST

> Sane people choose compatibility. But it's your choice. You can always
> normalize thing if you want to - but don't complain to me if it breaks
> things. It will still break _fewer_ things than UCS-4 would, so even if
> you always normalize you'd still be _better_ off with UTF-8 than you would
> be with UCS-4.

Well, if all the UTF-8 diddling is eventually done by glibc, or some
other library, it might just be made to work.

The keep-it-in-UTF-8-all-the-time thing will still break down when a
user inputs a filename by copying the display of a badly encoded
filename using GPM, or in X, but that isn't a kernel issue.

I still don't really get what enforcing strictly standards compliant
UTF-8 has to do with backwards compatibility, though.

_But_ at least I'm about 5% more confident that filenames won't
suddenly blow up in my face, so I can sleep soundly tonight :-).

John.