Re: ext3 on raid5 failure

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:27:35 EST

Bas Mevissen wrote:
Theodore Ts'o wrote:

Was it just the permissions screwy? Was the contents of these files
with the "funny" permission sane, or did they contain garbage? What
about the modtime of the files?

Only permissions. Something like r-Sr-S--- . File contents were OK.

The question is whether the problems you are seeing seem to be caused
by wholesale corruption of an entire block of the inode table, or is
some other kind of problem. For example, if only the permissions are
getting screwed up, when the rest of the inode data is correct, then
yes, it would most likely be a filesystem bug. I haven't noticed any
such problem myself, but it's possible that something like that might
be going on. On the other hand, if it is an entire block in the inode
table getting corrupted then I'd be less likely to presume it to be a
filesystem flaw.

It looks like this only appeared once. The FS looks fine now. So I guess I won't be able to reproduce it. Let's just go to 2.6.[23] and see if it happens again.

Did this go away on reboot, or did you have to fix it? If it went away on reboot, it could be that the copy of the inode in memory was borked.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc