Re: ACPI -- Workaround for broken DSDT

From: Joseph Pingenot
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:34:17 EST

>From Pavel Machek on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004:
>Hi!
>> > For non-vendor supplied solutions, you might also follow the DSDT link
>> > here: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/
>> Len, this is a really good idea making this available. May I suggest
>> you also have people provide patches between the original and their
>> modified versions, so it's easy for everyone to see what was
>> changed?
>Patches are important because some DSDTs change with memory sizes,
>too, so its safer to patch than to replace.

I'm getting ready to contact Dell (after I work through my work and
homework backlog. Ugh).
Firt off, how do I determine what all is broken in the DSDT/BIOS? I know
that the kernel refuses to use the APIC due to a 'broken BIOS'
(Feb 16 14:38:31 petrus Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local APIC.)
(Anyone know what I need to ask Dell to do to fix this?) I also know
that the fan isn't reported in ACPI, and that I've not gotten it to
suspend to RAM successfully (I've not gotten it to suspend to disk
successfully either, but I think that's due to software and/or my
issues, not the BIOS/DSDT).
Also, any pointers on *how* to ask? The above should cover the what;
who's successfully gotten a vendor (esp. Dell) to issue a fixed BIOS
and/or DSDT, and how did you go about it?
Thanks!

-Joseph

--
Joseph===============================================trelane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Graduate Student in Physics, Freelance Free Software Developer