Re: UTF-8 practically vs. theoretically in the VFS API

From: Tomas Szepe
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 07:07:21 EST

On Feb-18 2004, Wed, 12:59 +0100
Robin Rosenberg <robin.rosenberg.lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12.49, Tomas Szepe wrote:
> > Would you _please_ read the lkml FAQ and stop posting e-mails with lines
> > longer than 80 characters? Thank you.
>
> As soon as someone asks nicely... I thought any decent mail client simply
> wrapped the lines.

1) Quite the contrary. Any _decent_ mail client will _not_ wrap the lines.

2) A mail client that will wrap the lines will make your posts look like this:

<cut>
Having to put up with the existence of Windows day in and out is the reason I'm
still on
an eight-bit encoding. Sorry for not explaining the REAL problem, but only a
partial
problem. I need to support all kinds of clients on Windows with protocols that
convey no
character set info. With samba that's no problem. Having to put up with a Unix
world running
<cut>

> I'll try to remember that.

Thanks again.