Re: 2.6.3-mm1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 15:25:59 EST

Brandon Low <blow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I must add my voice here in strong opposition of the removal of
> cryptoloop from the 2.6 series of kernels. This is no longer a
> development series kernel, I (and others, I'm sure) have been working on
> developing technologies which depend on this functionality and which
> would be _very_ annoying to do with DM (liveCD-on-cryptoloop-on-iso).

Why is it problematic?

> Please do not drop cryptoloop!

ho-hum. Why should we retain crypto capabilities which have widely
understood vulnerabilities?

We mainly want to remove the bio remapping stuff from the loop driver
because it's horrid and deadlocks under heavy memory pressure. Maybe we
can leave crytoloop there with big "kindergarten crypto - do not use"
labels all over it.