Re: hard lock using combination of devices

From: Vlasenko Denis
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 17:27:19 EST

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 02:32, Carl Thompson wrote:
> At the moment I am. But I also tried native Linux drivers too with the
> same result. I've tried Windows drivers under DriverLoader and ndiswrapper
> as well as the native Aetheros driver, the native ADMTek driver and another
> native driver the name of which escapes me right now. It's definitely not
> a driver problem because I've tried several with the same results.
>
> BTW, Driverloader is actually a very slick package. For 802.11a/g parts,
> it definitely seems to be the way to go if stability is an issue. While it
> is a commercial product it's worth the $20US if you use high-speed wireless
> cards. Ndiswrapper is also nice but it is not as complete as DriverLoader
> currently and does not work with many cards. As for the Windows NDIS
> drivers that are run with them, they actually tend to be very stable and I
> have no problem with running them from a "purity" standpoint. I believe in
> doing what works, and right now nothing is working with Linux.

How can Linux folks fix bugs if kernel contains a binary-only part?

> >> 1: 26061 XT-PIC i8042
> >> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> >> 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
> >> 9: 2020 XT-PIC acpi
> >> 10: 2187181 XT-PIC yenta, driverloader
> >> 11: 111 XT-PIC ALI 5451
> >> 12: 2399118 XT-PIC i8042
> >> 14: 169829 XT-PIC ide0
> >> 15: 1 XT-PIC ide1
> >> NMI: 0
> >> LOC: 41036749
> >> ERR: 275764

You seem to have lots of ERRs too, ~1 each 2 secs.
That's bad, maybe flakey interrupt controller?
BIOS writers paying dirty with SMM?
I had such problems with 11g card and 'latest' BIOS for
my old mainboard. Older BIOS was ok.
--
vda