Re: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 05:28:15 EST

On 2004-02-18T14:51:32,
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> said:

> a) Does the export make technical sense? Do filesystems have
> legitimate need for access to this symbol?
>
> (really, a) is sufficient grounds, but for real-world reasons:)

Technically, I assume both OCFS, Lustre, (OpenGFS), PolyServe and
basically /everyone/ doing a cluster file system, proprietary or not,
will eventually need this capability. Vendors have included hooks for
this in 2.4 already anyway.

So on technical grounds, I'm strongly inclined to support it, but I
would like to suggest that it is ensured that the hook is sufficient for
all of the named CFS.

Paul, have you spoken with them?

> b) Does the IBM filsystem meet the kernel's licensing requirements?

If you are worried about this one, you can export it GPL-only, which as
an Open Source developer I'd appreciate, but from a real-world business
perspective would be unhappy about ;-)

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
High Availability & Clustering \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs | try again. fail again. fail better.