Re: Eureka! (was Re: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity)

From: Paul Wagland
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 20:23:54 EST

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 01:24, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> That said, who actually _uses_ dnotify? The only time dnotify seems to
> come up in discussions is when people complain how badly designed it is,
> and I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that they use it and
> that they liked it ;)

Well, in the desktop land both kde and gnome use fam, and fam can use
dnotify as it's backend to watch files. Server side, courier can use fam
as well, so although there are not a lot of programs that use dnotify
directly, there are a lot that can use it indirectly, and will fall back
to polling on a non-dnotify system. I don't know if the famd people like
it or not though ;-)

Cheers,
Paul